THE LRP1 GENE POLYMORPHISM IS ASSOCIATED WITH INCREASED RISK OF METABOLIC SYNDROME PREVALENCE IN THE SERBIAN POPULATION
Vučinić N1,*, Stokić E1,2, Djan I3,4, Obreht D5, Veličković N5, Stankov K6, Djan M5
*Corresponding Author: Nataša Vučinić, Ph.D., University of Novi Sad, Faculty of Medicine, Department of Pharmacy, Hajduk Veljkova 3, 21000 Novi Sad, Serbia. Tel: +38121422760. Mobile: +381652452456. Fax: +38121450620. E-mail: natasa.vucinic@mf.uns.ac.rs
page: 51

RESULTS

In the study 93 subjects were examined and analyzed, a group of 63 MetS patients and the control group of 30 healthy subjects. Exon 3 of the LRP1 gene was successfully amplified for each subject, and the product was 212 bp in length. In both groups, the genotype of the LRP1 gene for each person was successfully determined. The results of the t-test revealed significant differences (p <0.05) in means of anthropometric and biochemical measurements between the two analyzed groups for all values, except for glycemia, age and sex (Table 1). There was a difference in the distribution of genotypes between the two groups. There was a higher frequency of genotypes CT and TT in the MetS group compared to the healthy group. In the MetS and healthy group, the CC genotype was found most often (MetS: 57.4%; control: 86.67%), while the TT genotype was determined only in the MetS group (7.94%). The most common genotype in the total sample was CC (66.67%). The presence of each allele of the LRP1 gene was determined in the total studied sample as well as separately in each study group (Table 2). In both groups, the most frequent allele was allele C (MetS: 74.60%, control: 93.33%), while the T allele (25.4%) was more common in the MetS group. The most frequent allele in the total sample was the C allele (80.65%). Based on the results of the χ2 test of independence, it was found that there is an association between the presence of different exon 3 LRP1 genotypes and values of BMI over 30 kg/m2 (p <0.05; χ2 = 7.01234) and LDL >3.0 mmol/L (p <0.01; χ2 = 15.9979). In order to test the relevance of the LRP1 gene in determination of different anthropometric and biochemical parameters, we tested the total sample divided into three different groups of genotypes (CC, CT and TT). Single factor analysis of variance showed statistically significant differences for the parameters shown in Table 3, therefore, it can be concluded that there was a strong influence of different genotypes of exon 3 LRP1 genes on the tested parameters (Table 3). Odds ratio analyses (Table 4) showed that the presence of the T allele in patients multiplies the chance of deviation from the reference values of each anthropometric and biochemical parameter, especially for BMI (4.24-fold) and LDL cholesterol (20.26-fold) compared to the C allele carriers. Calculating the value of OR in relation to the occurrence of MetS, it was found that the presence of the T allele in patients multiplies the chance (4.76-fold) for the occurrence of MetS in comparison to the C allele carriers.



Number 20
VOL. 20 (1), 2017
Number 19
VOL. 19 (2), 2016
Number 19
VOL. 19 (1), 2016
Number 18
VOL. 18 (2), 2015
Number 18
VOL. 18 (1), 2015
Number 17
VOL. 17 (2), 2014
Number 17
VOL. 17 (1), 2014
Number 16
VOL. 16 (2), 2013
Number 16
VOL. 16 (1), 2013
Number 15
VOL. 15 (2), 2012
Number 15
VOL. 15, 2012 Supplement
Number 15
Vol. 15 (1), 2012
Number 14
14 - Vol. 14 (2), 2011
Number 14
The 9th Balkan Congress of Medical Genetics
Number 14
14 - Vol. 14 (1), 2011
Number 13
Vol. 13 (2), 2010
Number 13
Vol.13 (1), 2010
Number 12
Vol.12 (2), 2009
Number 12
Vol.12 (1), 2009
Number 11
Vol.11 (2),2008
Number 11
Vol.11 (1),2008
Number 10
Vol.10 (2), 2007
Number 10
10 (1),2007
Number 9
1&2, 2006
Number 9
3&4, 2006
Number 8
1&2, 2005
Number 8
3&4, 2004
Number 7
1&2, 2004
Number 6
3&4, 2003
Number 6
1&2, 2003
Number 5
3&4, 2002
Number 5
1&2, 2002
Number 4
Vol.3 (4), 2000
Number 4
Vol.2 (4), 1999
Number 4
Vol.1 (4), 1998
Number 4
3&4, 2001
Number 4
1&2, 2001
Number 3
Vol.3 (3), 2000
Number 3
Vol.2 (3), 1999
Number 3
Vol.1 (3), 1998
Number 2
Vol.3(2), 2000
Number 2
Vol.1 (2), 1998
Number 2
Vol.2 (2), 1999
Number 1
Vol.3 (1), 2000
Number 1
Vol.2 (1), 1999
Number 1
Vol.1 (1), 1998

 

 


 About the journal ::: Editorial ::: Subscription ::: Information for authors ::: Contact
 Copyright © Balkan Journal of Medical Genetics 2006